Welcome!

Hello everyone, thanks for coming! This is my blog, it's where I largely write about things that maybe 3 people read, but I do it anyway because they matter. Have a flick through, read ones with interesting titles, and check by every once in a while and see if there's any more. You can also follow me on twitter at @MikePasquale or you can visit my website which has got all my illustration on it: www.smash-rockets-to-mars.co.uk

Anyway, thanks again, and hope you enjoy your reading!
Mike

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Blog 68: Jason's Mum Hasn't Got It Going On

This is a review of Friday the 13th, a film famous for it's hockey mask wearing character Jason, who isn't even in the film. So I dunno why he's famous because of it.

Instead, we got a middle aged woman who sometimes puts on a "child's" voice. For any budding directors out there, you can learn something from this film. If you want a middle aged woman character to sometimes pretend to be her dead son, get someone who can act! Because if they can't even play a middle aged woman, which they ARE, then how can they play a dead son?

My fave part was after hitting Jason's mum with a frying pan, the main character checks for blood, and then goes to sit by the lake, and of course, Jason's mum isn't dead yet. So they have a brief fight and then the main girl lops of Jason's mum's head. Why she didn't do that when Jason's mum was apparently unconscious defeats my lower life excuse for a brain. But that's what she does.

However, I will say this. When it all seemed over, the film managed to get one more scare out of me when a funny mangled boy attacks the girl in the kayak.

Overall, Friday 13th scored 1 for the monster (a granny in a blue cardigan doesn't scare me too much to be honest), 5 for filming, 5 for a story line, 5 for acting, 7 for the music, even though it sounded a lot like Jaws at times. The film however did manage to scare me 7 TIMES which is the most any film has made me jump. So the overall score was 31. Looks like Carrie is still in the lead...

Next up is a slightly more modern classic: THE RING.

No comments: